Friday, February 12, 2010

Spaghetti House


I loooove this shirt. It reminds me of my childhood. Let me explain. When I was growing up, my family went out to eat. A LOT. We probably went out to a restaurant as a family at least twice a week. One of our favorite little places was a place known to us as the Spaghetti House. It had a real Italian name but we never called it that. My parents started going to the Spaghetti House before they were married and we continued to go there at least once a week for years. The owner knew us and gave us the same table as often as possible. My sisters and I would always order cokes and garlic bread and the same entrees. Every time. For years. I can't even imagine how many birthdays, good report cards, and other special occasions were celebrated there.



They had an ancient jukebox that we hovered around while our dinners were cooking. I don't think the thing had been updated since 1988 or so. My dad would give us each a quarter and we would get to pick two songs. Austin always played Diana Ross & the Supreme's "Stop in the Name of Love" and Birch would "accidentally" play the Chipmunk's Christmas song (usually in July). "Sittin' on the Dock of the Bay" was popular, as was "Under the Boardwalk", but we always had one constant. Without fail, we always heard Dean Martin's "That's Amore." To this day whenever I hear the opening line 'When the moon hits your eye, like a big pizza pie, that's amore', I am instantly transported to the Spaghetti House, where I have had so many memories with my family. The restaurant has changed a lot over the past five years, but I think this shirt would be a nice way to remember all of those fun times.




Do you have a favorite childhood restaurant?
taylor

No comments: