Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Art of the Macaron


There has been a huge blogging trend recently about macarons (not to be confused with macaroons). These more traditional French cookies are extremely difficult to master at home. They are a meringue-based sandwich cookie that is filled with a thick buttercream frosting or sometimes a fruit compote. I love to bake, but even I'm skeptical about giving these a whirl. You have to do everything just right and have a very reliable oven to get the proper consistency and shape. There isn't any margin for error. It sounds a little frustrating if you ask me.



I've been reading a lot of articles about them and following certain blogs whose writers are attempting the task. I've even gone so far as to ask my family in Paris to send me some of the renowned macarons from the French teahouse Ladurée. I love all of the pretty pastel shades that they come in! So far, I think they best ones I've seen online are at Not So Humble Pie. Mrs. Humble has gone through literally dozens of trials and different recipes before her macarons came out right. Kudos to her--they look delicious! I love the endless flavor combinations that you could create with different cookies and fillings.




I've also seen this cute book that teaches recipes and techniques for making these finicky little goodies. I would love to add it to my kitchen collection. In fact, there's a giveaway that I entered over at the Post Grad Hair Cut blog. It's one of my new favorites to browse! Samantha does a great job sharing fun products and artsy finds that she enjoys. I highly recommend becoming a follower of hers. I have my fingers crossed that I may be lucky enough to get my hands on a macaron book of my very own. Until then, I'll just be scouting around Providence for these yummy treats!





Have you ever attempted the temperamental macaron? Do tell!
taylor

No comments: