Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mom's the Word






As far back as I can remember, I have been in love with sparkles. I'm talking rhinestones, sequins, shimmery thread, anything. Trips to M.J. Designs were just opportunities for me to covet every little plastic rhinestone in the jewel aisle. I used to hoard the gems from my Treasure Troll board game. It was beyond an obsession. I have a very vivid memory of being in Montessori school making a puzzle pin for my mom for Mother's Day. I took projects like this very seriously. I remember picking a seat at a table by myself, so I didn't have to share supplies with anyone else. I painted my cluster of puzzle pieces silver and carefully selected some pretty beads and buttons to glue on to it. My pin was obviously the greatest, but it was still lacking a certain shimmer. Then, as if by a sheer miracle, a single rhinestone fell out of the sky (literally) and landed in my workspace. It's as if Liberace heard my wish and made it rain a single sparkle! My pin was complete. To this day, I still have no idea where it came from. It could have come flying off someone's shoes or clothes I guess, but I prefer to think of it as a gift from above. My mom was the only one whose puzzle pin had a single, sparkling gem on it.

In honor of my very special pin, I thought I'd feature these gorgeous rings today. Triian rings are completely one-of-a-kind little sculptures made from reclaimed materials and splashed with bright colors and Swarovski crystals. They are made entirely by hand, so no two rings are exactly the same. Read more about the designers and browse the full collection here.

A very Happy Mother's Day to all moms, especially my own. Love you, Mom!



P.S. My mom still has the pin!

No comments: