Sunday, June 20, 2010

Never Say Never



I had a really enjoyable, albeit brief, visit home last week. One of the perks of going home is experiencing a lot better more (and better) shopping options. Even stores that we have here in Providence seem better stocked in the DC area. I'm not sure if that's just my perception or it's actually true. Anyways, I tried to take advantage of my limited time and decided to take a giant step outside of my comfort zone and try on a few items I would normally breeze right by.

One of these trends is open toe booties. I've seen them popping up in stores, magazines, and fashion blogs everywhere, but would never think about trying them on myself. They just don't seem very practical or versatile. Boy, was I wrong. I spotted these Steven by Steve Madden booties and had to try them. They were incredibly flattering and elongating (the 5 inch heel helps), and I had a hard time taking them off. It really made a difference seeing them on as opposed to just seeing them. They would look great with jeans or leggings, or a combo (aka jeggings). This brings me to my next unconventional item.



A few days prior to seeing the shoes, I actually convinced myself to try on a pair of jean leggings. I spotted a pair of Joe's Jeans jeggings while browsing at Anthropologie and gave them a whirl. Surprisingly, they were really cute and incredibly comfortable. They felt like an old pair of lounge pj's or yoga pants. Plus, I liked that they had actual pockets and a zip fly. I couldn't believe it! I actually put them back on the shelf because I was so shocked at how much I liked them (crazy, I know). I'm hoping both of these items go on sale in the next month or so and I can snag them while the stores are making room for all of their fall merchandise. Bottom line, sometimes it's fun to try something you wouldn't normally choose for yourself. You might just be very pleasantly surprised!



Which trends are you weary of?

No comments: