Monday, September 3, 2012

Around DC: Teak Wood

One of my favorite things to do when I visit DC is to check out new restaurants, bakeries, bars, and boutiques. I rely heavily on my sisters and Tiane to steer me in the right direction, and last Friday, my sister Austin did not disappoint. She took me to Teak Wood, a great sushi and Thai spot in Logan Circle that she frequents with coworkers. Sometimes I'm weary of restaurants that try to do too much (Chinese/sushi/Korean bbq), and usually prefer those that do one thing exceptionally well. Teak Wood manages to do the Thai/sushi fusion beautifully. The restaurant itself is colorful and detail-oriented, with almost antique-like buddhas all over. It has an upscale feel, but also retains its neighborhood charm. I thoroughly enjoyed my lunch and of course the company. 
Thanks, Austin!

Menus presented in wooden booklets.

Laminated sushi menu with a wax pencil to place your order.

Monogrammed plates with elaborate script.

Vegetarian spring rolls with chili dipping sauce.

Shredded green papaya salad (one of my all-time favorite dishes).

Mexicano roll + tuna tempura roll + tuna nigiri.

Mexicano close up: yellowtail, jalapeno, avocado, cilantro, tobiko.

Chopsticks and soy sauce dishes.

The food presentation was so clean and pretty!

Restaurant entrance.

1 comment:

tiane said...

that sushi looks amazing.