Sunday, September 2, 2012

Around DC: The Eastern Market

It's crazy to admit that I spent most of my life living in the DC area and never once made the trek to Capitol Hill for the Eastern Market, the oldest fresh food public market in the city. Fortunately, I remedied the situation last weekend. My mom, sisters, Max, and I navigated into town, squeezed into a too-small parking space, and spent a couple of hours weaving in and out of the numerous craft, jewelry, and produce stands. It was the perfect way to spend a steamy Sunday and we left with lots of local fruits and vegetables, as well as some pretty baubles and inexpensive friendship bracelets. The peaches, corn, and tomatoes were all in their absolute prime of the season, and complemented various dinners throughout the rest of the week. I definitely recommend visiting the market if you find yourself in the DC area. I can't wait to go back next time I'm home!

Miniature eggplants in pretty shades of purple.

I'd never heard the term 'ecoganic' before.

Heirloom tomatoes that later made juicy BLT sandwiches.

Rows upon rows of colorful friendship bracelets. 

Vendors as far as the eye can see!

Panama hats in a variety of textures and colors.

Softball-sized peaches that Chef Max turned into pie for Sunday night dinner.

Gummy sharks at the candy shop inside the market.

Tiny, piping-hot doughnuts fried to order before being sprinkled with cinnamon + powdered sugar.

1 comment:

tiane said...

ok...i have never been to the eastern market. definitely added to the "to do" list!