Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Laissez les Bons Temps Rouler

Happy Mardi Gras! When I was growing up, my grandma would have a traditional Fat Tuesday pancake dinner every year and it was so much fun. She would decorate the table with brightly colored masks, feathers, and beads, and we would feast on flapjacks, sausage and bacon, eggs and fruit syrups. It was always a highly anticipated occasion for me and my sisters.

I decided to put my own spin on the tradition this year by whipping up a batch of sour cream pancakes (using this insanely delicious recipe) and served them up alongside sausage patties, scrambled eggs, fruit salad, and fresh squeezed blood orange mimosas. The best part was the real maple syrup (something that I rarely splurge on). The planning and shopping were just as much fun as the finished meal, and who doesn't love breakfast for dinner?






Remember last year, when I gave up coffee and chocolate for Lent. Yeah, that was pretty crazy. Well this year, I've decided to take it one step further and give up sweets and alcohol. I'm also going to try and make it a nightly habit to write something that I'm thankful for down in a journal. Wish me luck!

Do you celebrate Mardi Gras?

2 comments:

Danielle (elleinadspir) said...

Sounds like a perfect celebration. And... Omg u are nuts! But good luck!!!

tiane said...

when i "grow up" i want to host a mardi gras party! with KINGS CAKE!